Thursday, February 24, 2011

Costume Jewelry Board

Here is a little project that I have been working on the past couple of days.  I've found that I have a growing number of costume jewelry shove in my drawer that I seldom wear (possibly because it has become one big tangled mess).  So, I decided to clean up my act and display it out in the open,  hoping to use it more frequently if its easily accessible (but who knows). 

Here is the breakdown:

Materials:
  • Bulletin Board 
  • Fabric (enough to cover you board completely, including edges)
  • Brass tacks
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Paint Brush
  • Staple Gun
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Elastics
  • Paintbrush
  • Decorative Brads (optional, tacks will work just fine for this purpose)

Instructions:

1.  After choosing the fabric that I wanted, I used the bulletin board to paint the brass tacks to coordinate with the fabric (two coats should be enough).





 2.  After the tacks dried, I removed and cut fabric to cover the bulletin board.  Folding the fabric over the edges of the board, I then used a nail gun to fasten the fabric to the board.




 3.  As a decorative element (so this part is optional), I created a border using the painted tacks.  Using elastics to create the border (as a guide for the tacks), I measured 1 inch from the edge of the board and adjusted the elastics accordingly. 


4.  I then pinned the tacks to create a border using the elastics as my guide (tape would also work well as a guide).


5.  I then positioned decorative pearl brads (or tacks) on the board to hang my jewelry from.  I fastened ribbon to the board using the brads to hang earrings, and voila, a DIY jewelry board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...