Wednesday, May 4, 2011

DIY Baby Shower Decor

Last weekend, Jeff and I hosted a co-ed baby shower for some friends of ours, baby girl.  I snapped a couple of photos before the guests arrived to share with you all.



As mentioned above (and as I'm sure you can tell with all the pink), this shower was for a beautiful, baby girl. The majority of the decorations, I made myself (including the tissue paper pom-poms and the diaper cake).




If you would like to see instructions on how to make the tissue poms, you can follow this link to the Martha Stewart website.  I used 8 sheets of tissue paper to make the large poms and 4 sheets to create the smaller ones (2 large sheets cut in half).




For the diaper cake, I bought a package of about 80 diapers and used a little over half a package.

Diaper Cake


Supplies:

  • diapers
  • ribbon
  • small, medium and large elastics
  • double sided tape or glue dots
  • small decorations
Instructions:

  1. I started first by making the bottom layer of the cake.  Using a small elastic, I rolled the diaper from the open end to the closed end and fastened with the elastic.  This will be the center for this layer.  
  2. Next, I placed a medium elastic around the diaper and rolled up additional diapers and stuffed them inside the medium elastic to form a row.  For the bottom layer, I used three layers of diapers, securing the final layer with a large elastic.
  3. To make the top two layers, follow steps 1-2, only changing the number of rows (2nd layer will have two rows and the top layer will have one row).
  4. Center the layers, one on top of the other.
  5. Cut ribbon to length, for each layer and use double sided tape or glue dots to secure and hide the elastics.
  6. Lastly, add some pretty decorations (here, I used butterflies and a pink lei that I cut up and fastened to each layer of the cake).
I also made honey and almond cupcakes with pink vanilla frosting (I'll share this recipe on Friday).



Speaking of babies, my friend Amy at Up Mommy Creek has been nominated for Circle of Moms Top 25 Pregnancy Journals.  You can visit her site here and vote for her here!  Best of luck, Amy!

5 comments:

  1. aww, the baby shower looks gorgeous! Love the decorations and great job on the 'cake!'
    xx
    misty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been eyeing up those tissue pom poms on Martha Stewart for a while now. You did a good job! I love the diaper cake. I have seen these before - but not with butterflies - so pretty! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip! I'm getting a niece in September and I'm always looking for shower inspiration!

    ~Jessa
    www.jessajill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The diaper cake is so cute.. I did one for my sisters baby shower too. Butterflies are a nice touch!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!~ I would want to leave it up longer...I love the fun colors. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...