Friday, October 12, 2012

The 13 Project - Join Me!

Serena over at Pretty Fluffy has created a wonderful initiative that encourages everyone to find ways (big and small) to improve the lives of animals:


The 13 Project is a Pretty Fluffy initiative that involves 13 acts of kindness towards animals before 2013.  To join, all you have to do is come up with a list of up to 13 ways you can help animals before the end of 2012. You don’t need to be a millionaire, you don’t need to have a website, or be a member of a rescue organization…All you need is the desire to make a difference. If you’re time poor, make your list just one goal — or 3 or 5 things.




Jeff and I have several adopted pets: Gordon (Jeff's cranky but cute, 13 year old cat from the SPCA), Flea (my annoying but lovable, 4 year old cat from beneath my parent's deck) and Ben (the most adorable and unconditional loving 2 year old, husky cross from WHARF).  

Adopting a pet is challenging and rewarding.  It has its ups and downs and may not be for everyone; but, if you are looking for wonderful companion, I would highly recommend adoption.  We adopted our dog Ben 2 years ago (he was a house-warming gift from my parents).  We were lucky in that he was only 8 weeks old when we got him, so he had no habits to break and easily socialized with people and animals.  He was house-broken within 2 weeks and the only destruction he seemed to cause was to my shoes (and my shoes only...weird - you can read about how I covered up chew marks on a heel, here).  These little indiscretions are minor to the unconditional love and affection he offers and I couldn't imagine not having him in my life.  It's always wonderful to come home to a furry companion who is always so happy to see you!



I'm asking you to join me in the 13 Project.  If adoption isn't the right fit for you, there are many ways to help animals.  Here is my list of goals:

  1. Buy pet goods from Bingo's Pet Shop.  All proceeds go to support the Edmonton SPCA.
  2. Participate in Play it for Paws at Shanks Sport Bar on November 10th, 2012.
  3. Participate in Rescue for Life's next Clip-a-thon.
  4. Vote for Rescue for Life's Spay and Neuter Initiative through the Aviva Community Fund.
  5. Make a donation as part of my Christmas gifts this year.  The SPCA has some amazing gift giving ideas (including sponsoring a fostered pet for one month, medical needs, housing needs, etc).
  6. Donate gently used items to local animal shelters (food, toys, blankets, towels, dishes, leashes, collars, etc).
  7. Stay connected.  Participate in adoption and fundraising events in the new year.
  8. Have Ben's photo taken with Santa to raise funds for HART on December 8th, 2012.
  9. Buy meat at my local Farmer's Market.  There are farms that use humane practices such as Sunworks Farm.
  10. Enquire about fostering an animal - this may have to be a New Year goal.
  11. Learn about volunteer opportunities at Dogapalooza, November 3-4th, 2012.
  12. Share my adoption story to hopefully inspire others to save a furry life.
  13. Spread the word about the 13 Project.

If you wish to participate you can follow Serena over at Pretty Fluffy and learn more about her 13 Project initiative.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Taylor for joining The 13 Project. I have to say Ben looks and sounds like the most adorable and well loved Husky cross I have ever seen! I really am humbled by the response to The 13 Project.
    Your list is just amazing and will be an inspiration to others as well. Looking forward to cheering you on! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...